What are Medicaid Waivers?

If there's a chance your child may need extra support services consider applying for Medicaid Waivers.

This could be one of the most important things you do to get support throughout your child's life.

Question for Team: Should this page be combined with the next page, which is about applying for waivers, or is it better to have them separate? (Longer pages with more info vs. shorter chunks but have to click on Next?)

Waivers are part of Medicaid, which is a state-funded health insurance.

  • They're also called Home and Community-Based Waivers.

  • They provide services for children and adults with developmental disabilities who need some extra support in order to live at home.

Services for children may include:

  • a direct service worker (or personal care attendant: PCA)

  • respite care: trained people to watch your child so you can get a break

  • more types of therapy

  • service coordination

Depending on how urgent your child's needs are, there may be a wait. So it's best to apply as soon as possible.

Design Note for Ben: The first graphic I think is one that Matthew redesigned, but it has a typo in it. The other one is the original that I made in Canva. If you think the new design is better, or you want to redo the whole thing, we have to correct it and replace it in some other pages. 

Image of two thought bubbles with the text 'My child won’t need that kind of support! That’s for people with more severe problems...' in the first bubble, and the text 'But what if they do need help when they’re older? What do have to lose? Apply now just in case! You can always turn down the services if you don’t need them.' in the second bubble.'



See our Medicaid Waivers Guide to learn more. 


Source: Medicaid, LDH

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful