Colleges With Disability Services

Now that you've talked with the IEP team and started to prepare your child for college, it's time to start researching specific schools, and see what kind of support they can offer.

There are special college programs, services, and even scholarships that can help your child through college.

Most schools have a Disability Services Center where your child can get help.

There are often services to help students who need extra support.  For example:

  • They might be allowed to take their tests in a private classroom or get extra time.

  • They can have a volunteer note-taker write down the notes from each class.  Your child won't know the note-taker personally and won't have to tell their classmates they have a disability.

Make sure the services your child needs are available at the college they choose!

Click on the link at the bottom of the page to download a checklist of services you might want to ask about. (It will open in a new window or appear in the bottom corner of your screen.)

Consider a Comprehensive Transition and Post-Secondary (CTP) Program

A CTP program is a special program of study that some colleges offer.  It's designed for students with intellectual disabilities, and gives them extra support. It includes services like:

  • Academic advising

  • A chance to take some specialized classes and some typical classes

  • Internships or job training

  • Social skills mentoring

Visit this Federal Student Aid website to learn more about these grants and find a list of all US colleges that offer CTP programs.  (Click on the link and it will open in a new tab on your screen)


Click the box below to learn more:

These are colleges in the Capital Region who have offices that support students with disabilities.

Click on the name to go to their disability services web page. (it will open in a new tab on your computer.)

Or call the number to talk to them.

Nicholls State University is the only school in Louisiana with a CTP Program. The program is called Bridge to Independence.

Source: BRAF