Transition Services And Planning

If your child is in high school and has an IEP, their school should have services and programs that can help them prepare for their life after high school.

This is called Transition Planning.

Maybe that means helping them prepare to get a job, go on to a college program, or get adult care services to help them with their daily living needs.

Your child's IEP should be the starting point:

  • It should describe what support your child gets and guide their path through high school.
  • Your child should be involved in the IEP meetings starting at age 16, if they are able

  • The school is legally required to provide the services written in the IEP

Transition services can include things like:

  • Special classes for social skills, study skills or job readiness

  • Access to internships and other ways to get work experience

  • Connecting them to adult service agencies that can help during and after school

When your child turns 16, the school is required to help you write a Transition Plan, which will describe the services and actions that will support your child's future goals.

  • You, your child, and the rest of the IEP team will work together to create this. (It's not a legal document like the IEP, but it will be attached to the IEP.)

  • This Plan should address your child's challenges and needs for support in these areas:

Image showing the text 'Further education and training, Employment, Independent or supported living, Commuinty participation'