Speak Up If Your Child Is Not Getting What They Need

It may be hard, and you may feel pushy. But it's ok to ask for the support your child needs.

Remember that the school is legally required to do transition planning and follow the IEP. You can ask for an IEP team meeting anytime!

Here's what you can do:

  • The first step is to talk to the IEP team and tell them about your concerns. Ask for a meeting.

  • Make sure your child is getting the right kind of support to meet their IEP goals, transition plan, and graduation requirements.

  • If that doesn't change things, ask the school principal.

  • If that doesn't help, call your school district and ask to talk to the person in charge of special education services.

  • Remember that the school is trying to keep your child's best interests in mind. But sometimes they can get overwhelmed. 

Image of a person speaking up in a crowd of people beside the text 'Speak up if you don't get what you need! You know your child best, and you have a right to push for the services that support their goals.'


If you're still having a problem with the school district:

  • There are things you can do. You have the right to go through a formal process to solve it.

  • Please see the section in the Special Education Guide on Solving Disagreements with the School.