Continuing tutorships: for kids 15-18

Consider getting a continuing tutorship before your child turns 18

If your child is over 15 and has below-average mental ability, you can get a continuing tutorship. This allows you to make legal decisions for them, even after they turn 18.

It's worth thinking about doing this before your child turns 18!

If you wait until they turn 18, the only choice is to get an interdiction. That is a more complicated and expensive process.

You can qualify for a continuing tutorship if your child has 2/3 or less of the average mental ability of a person their age. This would be an I.Q. of 67 or less.

Here's what you can do: 

  • Talk to your child's IEP or ESS teacher to see if the district has done an I.Q. test by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist.

  • Think about whether your child will need you to make some or all of their decisions after they turn 18.

  • Find the Families Helping Families in your area (225-216-7474) or contact The Advocacy Center (800-960-7705).

To lean more, see our other Guide: Decision-Making for Adult Children. (It will open in a new tab.)

It will describe the whole process of getting continuing tutorship and interdiction.

You can also click on the links below: (They'll open in a new tab or window.)

Sources: Legacy Center of Louisiana, Advocacy Center, Families Helping Families of Greater New Orleans