Sign a settlement agreement

If you and the school resolve your complaint in the resolution meeting, you will both sign a settlement agreement.

This is a statement of what you agreed to. If you change your mind, you and the school have 3 business days to cancel this agreement. After that, the agreement is official. They can enforce this in court if you end up in a lawsuit.

You should always have an attorney review your settlement agreement. The legal language can be confusing and you want to make sure you don't waive any of your rights.

You may need to find a lawyer to help you resolve your dispute.

It’s best to find one who has lots of experience with special education laws and regulations.

Choose a lawyer who lists one of these as their specialty:

  • Special Education

  • Education Law

  • Advocacy

Be sure to ask in advance about fees.

Fees will vary based on each lawyer's experience and how complex the case is.

If you can't afford a lawyer, try calling one of these organizations.

They should be able to give you free advice and maybe free or low cost legal help.

Click on the title and the website will open in a new tab.

  • The Advocacy Center of LA provides free services. Call their hotline at 800-960-7705.

  • The Louisiana Civil Justice Center offers a free legal hotline with brief advice and attorney referrals. Call 800-310-7029, Monday-Friday 9am-4pm.

  • Louisiana State Bar Legal Education and Assistance Program provides a search directory by parish that includes legal aid organizations. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select your parish.

  • The Southeast Louisiana Legal Services provides legal aid to low-income people. Visit their website to find contact information for an office located near you.

  • The courts may also provide some legal assistance but there is no guarantee.

  • You can also call the LA DOE and ask if they can help you find free legal assistance.

Reminder: We do not endorse any of these providers. We are simply providing links for your reference.

To find legal help:

Please note that when you click on a link, the website will open in a new tab or window on your screen. When searching through these resources, look for lawyers who specialize in special education law.

Reminder: We do not endorse any of the lawyers listed through these resources. We are simply providing links to databases for your reference. Legal fees will vary depending on the complexity of your case.


Source: LA DOE