Less restrictive options

Not all people with disabilities need a formal or legal arrangement for decision-making.

If your child or family member can make some of their decisions with help, you can consider some less restrictive options.

These options allow them to keep their rights, but get support.

For example, some families just hire a bill payer to help write checks, while the person keeps control of their own bank account.

On the next few pages, we will talk about these options:

  1. Self-advocacy

  2. Appointing an advocate

  3. Getting a Representation and Mandate (also called "Power of Attorney" or "Procuration")

  4. Supported decision-making

The best option will depend on your family member's situation and needs. Get guidance from a lawyer and other helpful people.

Here's what you can do:

  1. First, talk to your family member, a lawyer, and other helpful people like a teacher or adult services case manager.

  2. Get their advice on which option is best for your family member's situation.

  3. We will cover more specific steps for each of these options on the next few pages.