Housing options

If you need a place to live and need daily support, you have choices.

We can't tell you what's best for you or even what options are available. But we can tell you what some of the options are. Then we'll tell you how to connect with the state offices and other organizations that can help you find those options.

  • Living with a family member

    • This has benefits. It's a familiar place where people love you.

    • Keep this in mind — Your family members need to take care of themselves so they can be there for you in other ways. Ask about respite care.

  • Your own apartment

    • Your state offices or support organizations can help you find your own place to live. (We'll tell you about some of the support organizations soon!

    • You can live with roommates if you want.

  • Community home

    • A place where a small group of adults live together with support from qualified caregivers

    • The staff can help with daily needs, healthcare, getting around town, and finding activities.

  • Intermediate care facility

    • For people with developmental or Intellectual disabilities

    • A group home

  • Nursing home or intensive care facility (ICF)

    • A hospital-like facility with 24-hour support from qualified staff, including nurses

    • Mainly for older adults with medical needs

  • Permanent supported housing (PSH)

    • A special program for people who have very low income and are getting benefits from Medicaid Waivers or other programs (Click the box at the bottom of the page to learn more.)

    • Helps pay rent and provide support services

NOTE: At any of these places you can use your Waiver benefits (if you have them) to hire your own helpers.

Nursing homes are not the only option! If someone told you that, then read on and learn about others! Always ask about your options!

Ask your housing authority about Priority Status

  • If you're looking for a place to live, call your local housing authority. They should give priority status to people with developmental disabilities. This means they should save housing slots for people with developmental disabilities. Ask them about this!

Permanent Supported Housing is offered through the Office of Aging & Adult Services (OAAS)

This is a special program for people with very low income. It helps pay your rent and provides support services. Click here to see the website.

Click on the link at the bottom of the page to download a fact sheet to learn more.

How to contact OAAS: 


Source: OAAS

Sources: OCDD, New Horizons Independent Living Center