Autism services through health insurance

Your health insurance plan might cover special programs and services for people with autism.

Make sure to learn what you qualify for, and to use every service you can get!

What special autism services should I look for?

Here are a few that we think are most helpful: 

  • Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) — An intensive therapy that works well with people who have autism. It helps them improve behaviors and social skills through 1-on-1 sessions and group play.

  • Physical Therapy — A therapist works with your child to improve muscle strength, coordination, and movement.

  • Occupational Therapy — A therapist helps your child with the motor skills they need for life activities like eating, bathing, and writing.

  • Speech Therapy — A therapist helps with communication skills at all levels. These include talking, understanding others, and also non-verbal ways to communicate.

Image of an exclamation mark
Check and see if your private insurance
covers any of these services!


How can I find out what's covered in my plan? 

  • If you have a Member Handbook or List of Covered Services, look to see what your plan covers

  • Call the number on the back of your health insurance card.

  • Look on the website for your insurance company.

Once you know what is covered, use our Resource Directory to find providers in your area that offer these services.


<< Back to Supporting Teens Section                      Next >>

<< Back to Special Ed Section