The Transition Plan and Conference

There is a specific planning process for moving out of EI and preparing for the next setting.

Your EI service coordinator will help you through this.

The Transition Plan

This is a section on your IFSP that you will fill out with your coordinator.

This includes: 

  • A review of options for your family

  • Information about the process of transition

  • Support that you can get

  • Information that must be sent to your school system or other community providers

  • Specific plan for how your child will get ready for the next setting

What you can do:

  • Ask for a meeting with your EI service coordinator, or talk about this at your next review.

  • Fill this out with your service coordinator and other members of your team.

  • Click the link at the bottom of the page to download a Sample IFSP form and see the Transition Plan on page 7a.

The Transition Planning Conference

This is a meeting with your EI service coordinator, and others who work with your child. You can invite anyone else you like who knows your child. Here you will confirm your transition plan.

What happens at this meeting: 

  • You'll talk about options for life after EI. Your child's new setting may be day care, preschool, being at home (without services), or getting services through the school system.

  • You'll choose activities that will help your child adjust to the new setting. These may include visiting a new program, creating a picture book about the change, or having a goodbye party with their EI providers.

If you want to transition to the school system: 

  • Your contact person from the school system's special education department will also be invited. (This may be called a liaison, a coordinator or an LEA: Local Education Authority.)

  • They will observe your child and explain the special education process.

  • They may give you new forms to sign.

  • You can share the information and reports you have about your child. This is where it helps to have a transition packet or binder.

  • The special education liaison will explain the special education process, and discuss next steps. These may include observations, evaluations, and signing new consent forms.

Applying to DDS: The Department of Developmental Services

DDS is a state department that can provide support services to your child throughout their life if they qualify. If your child may qualify, you should apply as they transition out of EI. Please see the next section in the menu to learn more.


Source: EOHHS