If you have a complaint

Your EI Program will usually do everything they can to meet your needs, but if you have a complaint, there are things you can do.

Maybe you disagree with the evaluation results or decision about your child qualifying. Or maybe you are not getting the services you think your child needs. Either way, there is a process to help you!

What you can do:

  1. First, talk to your EI Service Coordinator or the Director of your EI Program. They will try to resolve your concern, or tell you who to contact.

  2. If that doesn't work, file your complaint with DPH. You must do this in writing.

  3. If your complaint involves a disagreement, think about Mediation. If that doesn't work, the last resort is having a Due Process Hearing.

To learn more:

Click the buttons below for more details:

If you have a problem with the EI process, you can file a formal complaint with the Department of Public Health (DPH).

The main reasons are:

  • You have a complaint with your EI program that they can't fix.

  • You disagree with a decision that your child does not qualify.

What you can do:

  • Describe your complaint in writing. If you have suggestions to fix it, include them.

  • Send your written complaint to DPH:

  • Also send a copy to your EI program.

DPH has 60 days to review the problem and make a decision. They may ask you some questions. They'll also talk to the EI program to hear their side.

Who to call if you have questions:

  • Your EI program (if you have one)

  • DPH, Early Intervention Office of Family Rights and Due Process: (978) 851-7261. Or email:   mary.dennehy-colorusso@state.ma.us

  • Family TIES: 1-800-905-TIES (8437)

Sources: Family TIES of MA, MA DPH, EOHHS

These options are for times when there is a disagreement between you and the EI program.

For example, if your child did not qualify and you think they should.

They are both free. The Department of Public Health (DPH) will pay.

Image of two rounded rectangles. The first rectangle contains the text 'Ask for mediation: Bring in a neutral mediator who is trained to help. This is easy and often works.' The second rectangle contains the text 'File for a Due Process Hearing: Have a formal meeting, like a court trial. That should be a last resort'

Sources: EOHHS, MA DPH

Look in your Notice of Family Rights and Procedural Safeguards for more details about the complaint process. You should have gotten this when you gave consent for the evaluation.

Click the links below to download copies of each.


Source: MA DPH