Filing the paperwork

The next step is to file the paperwork in your county Probate and Family Courthouse. There is no fee for this!

Here's what you can do: 

  1. Find the Probate and Family Courthouse for the county where your family member lives. You can use this town look-up tool: Massachusetts - Where do I file?

  2. BEFORE you file, have a lawyer check that all of your paperwork is filled out correctly.

  3. File these forms at the same time: the Petition form, the Bond form, and the Clinical Team Report.

In some cases, the Court may appoint a lawyer for your family member.

Sources: Commonwealth of MA