Follow up after the hearing

When the guardianship is approved, the judge signs a decree.

After that, there are a few other things you need to do.

Here's what you can do:

  1. Ask the court staff for a certified copy of the letter of appointment (this should be free).This states who the legal guardian is. Keep it for your records.

  2. Send copies of the letter of appointment to these people for their records:

    • your family member's primary care doctor,

    • their dentist,

    • and their school or adult services provider.

  3. File the Guardian's Care Plan/Report. We'll cover this in the next section.

Sources: Federation for Children with Special Needs, Jackins (2010), MA Guardianship Association