Connecting with your local school system

Ask your Family Service Coordinator to help you connect with your local school system

If your child is in Early Intervention, your FSC should help you transition to the school-based services! They'll start this soon after your child turns 2.

Your child can start getting services to support their education as early as age 3. You don't have to wait until they're in kindergarten.

Here's what you can do if your child is over 2:

  • Ask your FSC to put you in touch with the school system. (They should do this anyway!)

  • Call and talk to the director of the Special Education department. Tell them about your child, and ask what kinds of services they offer (including preschool options).

  • See when they can assign you a liaison. This will be your contact person to help you with the process.

  • Visit some of the programs or activities to see how your child might fit.

You may hear the term Local Education Agency (LEA)- this is your school system or district.

Who do I contact? To get support services, you


Sources: MA DPH, MA DESE