Connecting with your school system

If your child is not already in school, the first step is to talk with the Special Education Department in your local school system.

Here's what you do: 1. Identify your areas of concern. What kinds of issues if your child having trouble with? 2. Find your school district's Special Education Department. (Call your city or town hall or look on their website.) 3. Request special educations in writing. Developmental concerns? (doesn't have the same skills as other kids their age). Social or communication issues? Emotional or behavioral issues?

You may hear these terms:

  • SPED: Special Education program in your school district.

  • SPED-PAC: Special Education Parent Advisory Council

Don't be scared by the term Special Education! It only means that your child will get special services to help them learn in school. Remember, everyone learns differently!


Sources: MA DESE, Family TIES of MA