Planning for what happens when school is done

In Massachusetts your child with a disability can get services from the school system until they turn 22 or graduate from high school.

After this, they may be able to get services from other sources.  We'll tell you how to find support for living, working, and learning as an adult.

The first step is to think about your child's future: what will their life look like after they turn 22?

You should think about housing, work, benefits, and safety during transition planning. Ask yourself questions like these: Can they live on their own, or do they need supervision?  Will they have a job with a paycheck? Are there state or federal programs out there that could help them with independent living skills, or help them find a job, or a home? (Hint - there are!) Do they know the difference between right and wrong? Can they make safe choices?

Your answers to these questions will help you to plan for the support they need during transition.

If you can, talk with your child about this. It will be good for them to start thinking ahead, too!


Sources: Expertise, Mass DOE