Make sure the right supports are in place

Whether your child has an IEP or a 504 plan, you'll need to make sure that they have the support they need to move toward their future goals.

Here's what you can do: 

  • Make sure all services and accommodations listed in the IEP or 504 plan are actually happening. This should be the case, but sometimes it's not. Remember that you have a right to get what the plan says!

  • Talk to your child about how things are going. Are they getting the help they need to do their best in school? Get in the habit of talking about this regularly.If there are any problems, it's much better to find out right away!

  • If you have any questions or concerns, talk to your child's Guidance Counselor, Special Education Liaison or 504 Coordinator.

Next we'll talk about the IEP. If your child does not have one, it can help to read through this part anyway.