If your child is not diagnosed, but you think they may be on the autism spectrum

There are different kinds of testing that can help you know if your child has autism.

Here's what you can do if are concerned about your child: 

  • Ask your doctor to refer you to a specialty developmental clinic that can assess autism in teens.
  • Most pediatricians are not experts in autism. It takes a specialist to do the kind of testing that can identify autism.

  • There are many different tests that can help diagnose autism. A good clinic will do a series of different kinds of tests and ask for a lot of input from the parents or caretakers.

  • You can also find a clinic in the Resource Directory (see below)

Learn more: 

  • See our Resource Directory to find a clinic that can do an evaluation!

    • Look under Medical & Clinical Services.

    • Try these categories: Developmental Pediatricians or Diagnostic Evaluations.

  • See our Autism Guide 

  • For a very detailed description of assessments for autism, see A Parents Guide to Assessment.

    • (Click on it to open a web page in a new window. You can download this 66-page booklet from the Organization for Autism Research.)