Contact the school system to see if your child qualifies

If your child qualifies, they can start getting special education services at age 3, even before they start school!

Remember, sooner is always better!

Who do I contact? Your school system is required to help students with disabilities succeed in school. Contact the Special Education Department.

Your child will get an evaluation from the school district to see if they qualify.

  • This must confirm that they have a disability which affects their learning.  Even though you may know this is true, the school needs to document it.

  • If your child qualifies for services, you and the school will work together to create a plan that outlines the services your child will get.  This is called an Individualized Education Program, or IEP.