What Do Transition Plans Include?

The Transition Plan should address your child's unique needs and goals for adult life.

It will help to set up services and supports for life skills, social skills, job readiness, self-advocacy, independent living, and more.

 These are the categories listed on the Transition Plan:

  • Education & Related Services 

  • Community Experience

  • Employment & Post-School Adult Living

  • Functional Vocational Assessment & Daily Living Skills 

For each category, you, your child and the rest of the IEP team will write goals, and action steps to reach those goals. There will be action steps for the school, the student, the family and outside agencies.

You will fill out a grid like this:

Image of a fillable form as a table with the heading 'Category of Service or Support' in the first column above the text: 'Instructional/Related Services, Community Experiences, Employment & Post-School Adult Living, Functional Vocational Assessment & Daily Living Skills.' The second column has the heading 'Action Steps' above the text: School, Student, Family, Agency.'

What would an agency do for my child?

  • Outside agencies will be very helpful! They can provide training and other services  to support your child's goals during high school and afterwards.

  • Make sure to give the school permission to connect you with outside agencies like Louisiana Rehabilitative Services or the Office of Citizens with Developmental Disabilities (OCDD).

Click on the links below to download Sample Transition Plans. There are two different types. You can see what kind of action steps might be included.

See the FAQ on Outside Agencies for more info!