Connecting with your local school system

If your child is in EarlySteps, your FSC should help you transition to school-based services!

They should start helping you prepare for this soon after your child turns 2.

Your child can start getting services to support their education as early as age 3. You don't have to wait until they're in kindergarten.

Here's what you can do: 

  • Ask your FSC to put you in touch with the school system. (They should do this anyway!)

  • Call and talk to the director of the ESS or Special Education department. Tell them about your child, and ask what kinds of services they offer (including preschool options).

  • See when they can assign you a liaison.This will be your contact person to help you with the process.

  • Visit some of the programs or activities to see how your child might fit in.

You may hear the term Local Education Agency (LEA) —this is your school system or district.

Who do I contact?

Image of a schoolhouse.To get support services, you'll work with your local school system. They are required to help students with disabilities succeed in school

The department in charge of this may be called:

'The department of local school systems that are required to help students with disabilities succeed in school may be called Special Eduation or Exceptional Student Services'


Image of an exclamation markDon't be scared by the term Special Education! It only means that your child will get special services to help them learn in school. it does not mean they are any less smart than others, just that they need some support at this time.

Source: LA DOE