Monitor progress and make changes as needed

Once you have agreed on the accommodations your child needs, they should start getting them right away.

Here's what you can do:

  • Ask the teachers how they plan to monitor your child's progress over time. This can include:

    • Grades: They'll help you understand your child's progress in the general curriculum.

    • Progress Reports: The school must send progress reports along with each report card.

  • Review your child's school records carefully. Think about these questions:

    • Is your child making the expected progress in school?

    • Are the accommodations working for your child?

    • Are there any questions or concerns about their academic, emotional, or social well-being?

  • Make sure your child is getting all the accommodations outlined in their plan. If you have questions or concerns, call your child's teacher or ask the 504 coordinator to set up a meeting. You can ask for a meeting anytime!

  • During the year, talk with your child's teachers and the 504 coordinator if you think changes to the plan are needed.

  • If you have reason to believe the school is not implementing the 504 plan such that your child is not receiving FAPE, you can file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights. You can find instructions here. (It will open in a new tab on your screen.)

NOTE: Although Section 504 regulations do not set a specific timeframe within which students with disabilities must be reevaluated to make sure they are receiving the appropriate services/accommodations, Section 504 requires schools to conduct reevaluations periodically, and before a significant change in placement.


Source: LA DOE