If your child is over 3

EarlySteps stops at age 3.

If your child is over 3, you'll work with the public school system instead. 

  • Most kids don't enter the school system until they start kindergarten.

  • But if your child has special needs, they may qualify for services at age 3.  

Every school district offers Special Education (or Exceptional Student Services) for kids from age 3 to 22.

Even if your child has started school, it's not too late to get services.

What you can do:

  • See our other Guide about Special Education Services (Go to Tools at the top of your screen and choose Topics & Guides.) This will take you step by step through the process of connecting with your school district and creating a plan to support your child throughout their school years.

  • Call your school district. Ask for the office in charge of special education. Ask how you can start the process to see if your child qualifies for services.

Who do I contact?

Image of a schoolhouse.To get support services, you'll work with your local school system. 
They are required to help students with disabilities succeed in school

The department in charge of this may be called:

Image of two rounded rectangles separated by the word 'or' with the text 'Exceptional Student Services(EDD)' in the first rectangle, and the text 'Special_Education' in the second rectangle'

Image of an exclamation markDon't be scared by the term Special Education! It only means that your child will get special services to help them learn in school. it does not mean they are any less smart than others, just that they need some support at this time. 


Click on the link at the bottom of the page to download a booklet with lots of information about special education in Louisiana.


Source: LDOE