Contact the school system to see if your child qualifies

If your child qualifies, they can start getting special education services at age 3, even before they start school!

Remember, sooner is always better!


Who do I contact? Image of a schoolhouse

To get support services, you'll work with your local school system. They are required to help students with disabilities succeed in school.

The department in charge of this may be called:
Exceptional Student Services (ESS)
Special Education

What you can do:

  • Call your school district's department of special education. Sometimes it's called the Department of Exceptional Student Services, or ESS. Tell them about your child and ask how to start the process of qualifying.The first step is getting an evaluation called a pupil appraisal.

  • Click here to see a List of School Districts in Louisiana(It will open in a new tab on your screen.)

Click on the box below to learn more:

Here's how to start the process of applying for special services from your school system:

  • Call your school district's special education (or ESS) department.Tell them about your child and ask how to start the process of qualifying. The first step is getting a pupil appraisal.

What happens next:

  • Your child will get a pupil appraisal from the school district to see if they qualify. This must confirm that they have a disability which affects their learning. Even though you may know this is true, the school needs to document it.

  • If your child qualifies for services, you and the school will work together to create a plan that outlines the services your child will get. This is called an Individualized Education Program, or IEP.

See our other Guide to learn about the whole process: Special Education Services

Sources: LA DOE, Louisiana School Boards Association


Sources: LA DOE, Louisiana School Boards Association