Start thinking about the future

If your child is getting services from the school system, you'll start to plan for transition when they're about 16.

This means you'll talk with their teachers and other service providers about how to support them as they move into life after school.

There's a formal process for this, and services to help prepare for their next steps.

Image of an exclamation markImage of a schoolhouse Kids with a disability have a right to be in school, with the services they need, until they are 22 or get a high school diploma - whichever comes first.   


Here's what you can do:

  • Ask your child's teacher about transition planning.

  • Think about what you see your child doing after high school (or after they are 22 and no longer in a school program):

    • Living with you?

    • Getting a job?

    • Living in a group home?

    • College program?

  • Think about the skills they will need for this future and make sure they are reflected in the IEP.

  • Encourage your child to think about their interests, values, and future goals. Starting these conversations early will help with the transition process.

See our other Guide: How to Support the Transition to Adulthood to learn more! (Click to open it in a new tab.)


Sources: LA DOE, Louisiana Division of Administration