File the paperwork

Imageof a document being filed at a courthouseThe next step is to file the paperwork in the civil district court in the parish where the interdict lives.

Filing fees vary between parishes!


Here's what you can do:

  1. Find the civil district court for the parish where your family member lives. You can use this map to find your judicial district: Louisiana Map of Judicial Districts (It will open in a new tab or window on your screen.)

  2. Once you find your district, look up the address of the civil district court.

  3. BEFORE you file, have a lawyer check that all of your paperwork is filled out correctly.

  4. File these items at the same time:

    • the Petition for Interdiction form

    • a security (deposit)

In some cases, the court may appoint a lawyer for your family member.

Click the box below to learn more:

A security is similar to a bond or deposit.

It's money you bring to the court when you file for interdiction as a guarantee that you'll carry out your responsibilities as curator.

The court usually holds this security for the interdict's entire life.

If the curator mishandles the interdict's money or property, or doesn't act in the best interests of the interdict, the interdict will be reimbursed with the security.

The amount of security usually depends on the amount of assets that belong to the interdict. If a child has had a significant disability his entire life, he likely won't have many assets so the security will be fairly low.

Only the court can change, reduce, or return the security.

Source: LA Supreme Court, LA Code of Civil Procedure art. 4563



Sources: LA Supreme Court, LA Code of Civil Procedure art. 4563