Do you need legal help?

The process of getting interdiction or continuing tutorship is complicated!

We suggest you consider getting a lawyer to help you choose the right option for your family member and support you through the process. You want to be sure you're doing everything the legally correct way.

If you can't afford to pay for a lawyer, you might be able to get free legal services.

To learn more, click on the box below:

If you can't afford a lawyer, try calling one of these organizations.

They should be able to give you free advice and maybe free or low cost legal help.

(Click on the title below and the website will open in a new tab.)

Reminder: We do not endorse any of these providers. We are simply providing links for your reference.

If you don't qualify for free legal help, there are many ways to find a lawyer in your area.

To find legal help:

Please note that when you click on a link, the website will open in a new tab or window on your screen.

When searching through these resources, look for lawyers who specialize in special education law, disability law, family law, probate law, interdiction, or tutorship.

  • Search for lawyers in your parish through the Disabilities Assistance Network. This list isn't comprehensive; the people listed here have asked to be included.

  • Check with the Louisiana Bar Association's Referral Service. In New Orleans you can call 504-561-8828; in Baton Rouge you can call 225-344-9926.

  • You can also call the Louisiana Bar Association at 1-800-421-5722 for help finding a lawyer in your area.

  • The Academy of Special Needs Planners: Louisiana Listings.(The lawyers are marked for Attorney)

  • Special Needs Alliance: Louisiana Listings.

  • National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys: search by your zip code here.(Besides elder law, these members usually know a lot about guardianship for people with disabilities as well.)

Reminder: We do not endorse any of the lawyers listed through these resources. We are simply providing links to databases for your reference. Legal fees will vary depending on the complexity of your case.


Sources: LA Bar Association LEAP Program, Louisiana State Bar Association