Learn about options to help your child with life decisions

If your child will need help making decisions as an adult, you should start thinking about shared decision-making options for adult children.

Once your child turns 18, you no longer have the right to make decisions for them unless you go through a process to get official permission.

What is Shared Decision-Making?

  • It's a process where the court appoints someone to make legal decisions for your child. Usually this is a parent.

  • There are different levels of shared decision-making depending on what kind of decisions your adult child needs help with.

  • You will have to fill out forms and file them with the court. Most families need to get some help from a lawyer. (If you have low income, you can get help paying for the lawyer.)

To learn more about these options, see the Exceptional Lives Decision-Making for Adult Children Guide.