How to apply for Waivers and other services

Louisiana has services for people with disabilities, including autism. The Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities (OCDD) is the department in charge of these services. You can reach the OCDD through your local Human Services District Office (HSD).


Here's what you can do:

  • Call your Human Services District Office (HSD). (See the list of regional offices below.)

  • Tell them you want to apply for Medicaid waivers.

  • Ask them what other services you might qualify for.

  • See our Medicaid Waiver Guide to learn more.

Here's what to expect:

  • They will meet with you to see if your child qualifies for Waivers or other services.

  • If your child qualifies, their name will go on a on a wait list (the Registry). The wait lists can be very long — sometimes 10 years or longer!

  • You'll get a letter from the HSD office at least every year. You must respond to confirm that you still want to be on the list!

To find your regional HSD Office:

Image of a map of Louisiana with the different regions and their corresponding Human Services District Office. To find yours, you can use the Directory link above.


Sources: LDH, OCDD


<< Back                       Next >>