Medical Certificate

The Medical Certificate confirms that your child has a medical condition that impedes their ability to make their own decisions.

One of these professionals must fill out and sign the medical certificate: your family member's doctor, licensed psychologist and a certified psychiatric nurse or clinical specialist.

You will need to schedule TWO exams in order to get TWO Medical Certificates:

  • One dated within 30 days of filing the Petition, and

  • One dated within 30 days of the Court hearing (you will not know the Court hearing date until AFTER you have filed the Petition).

Here's what you can do:

  1. Click the link at the bottom of the page to download a PDF of the Medical Certificate.

  2. Schedule an exam for your family member with a doctor, psychologist, OR psychiatric nurse specialist. Usually this is free, but check in advance.

  3. Have them fill out the Medical Certificate and sign it.

  4. Make sure the first exam is within 30 days of when the Petition will be filed.

  5. Once you know the date of your Court hearing, follow up with your clinician (the doctor, psychologist or nurse specialist) to have them complete a second Medical Certificate, dated within 30 days of the Court hearing.

Sources: Commonwealth of MA, Jackins (2010)