Monitor progress and make IEP changes as needed

Now that you have an IEP, your child will start getting the services!

REMEMBER: Your school district is required by law to give your child the services described in the IEP. But it's your job to make sure that is happening!

What you can do:

  1. Talk to the IEP team about the plan for monitoring your child's progress. This can include:

    • Grades: Grades will help you understand your child's progress in the general curriculum.

    • Progress Reports: These will help you understand how your child is meeting their IEP goals. Districts have to provide progress reports as often as all the other students in the school get progress reports and report cards. (You can download the form below.)

  2. When grades and progress reports come out, read them carefully. Ask:

    • Is your child making progress in school?

    • Are they meeting their IEP goals?

    • Are there any questions or concerns about their academic, emotional, or social well-being?

  3. Make sure that all special education services (speech,PT, OT, etc.) are being provided as planned, based on the IEP.

  4. If you have questions or concerns anytime, ask the IEP team to set up a meeting.

    • Do this in writing, even if you talk to them as well.

    • Make sure it has a date. They must meet with you within 30 days.

    • Remember, you can ask for a meeting at any time!

  5. If you think the IEP needs to be changed, talk with your IEP team. You can ask for changes, but the district cannot make any changes without telling you.

Click the boxes below to learn more:

1. Compare apples to apples:Make sure your child's progress is measured with the same unit of measurement as the goal.

  • If the goal is for Johnny to respond appropriately 60% of the time, make sure his progress is also measured in percentages.

  • If the goal is for Johnny to respond appropriately in 6 of 10trials, make sure his progress is also measured in trials.

2. Ask for work samples and assessments.

  • It's helpful to track progress when you can see for yourself the kind of work your child is doing in school. It's more tangible than the data you'll see on the reports.

  • If you think that work samples and other assessments are a better way to measure your child's progress, you can request that they measure the goals with them.

You can request a meeting at any time to discuss or change your child's IEP, even after it is signed.

A change is called an IEP Amendment. These should only be used for minor changes to the IEP. Amendments should not be used for bigger changes like service delivery.

For more information, see this page from the United Federation of Teachers website: Amending the IEP After the Annual Review. (It will open in a new tab on your screen.)

Sources: United Federation of Teachers, MA DOE

To download a blank copy of the school's progress report form, click the link at the bottom of the page.


Sources: Federation for Children with Special Needs, MA DESE