The Transition Coordinator and IEP Team

If your child has an IEP, find out who will be coordinating their transition services.

This person will be part of the IEP team and help you with transition planning.

Some schools have Transition Coordinators, and all schools should have representatives from the Mass Rehabilitation Commission (MRC)


During transition, the IEP Team should include: You, as the child's parent or guardian, Your child (age 14, or ealier if appropriate), at least one classroom teacher, at least one special education teacher, other specialists-for example, the school psycholist, social worker, occupational therapist, speech therapist, reading specialist, etc., a representative from any agency that will be providing or paying for transition services, your child's guidance counselor and transition specialist might also join.

Here's what you can do:

  • Ask your IEP team if there is a transition coordinator, or a main contact person who is in charge of transition. This process is a team-based and everyone should be involved, so you can talk to anyone on the team. But it may help to have a main point of contact.

  • Keep in touch with your IEP team. Make sure they are involved in course selection and transition planning.Work with them to create a graduation plan you feel is best for your child. It’s always good to try for the highest level you think your child can manage.

  • Ask questions if you don't understand something, or if you feel that your child is struggling. There may be services or support that you don't know about.

  • Encourage your child to keep in touch with the team as well.

There will be many new things happening during the high school years: harder course work, college prep activities, and standardized tests like PSATs and SATs. (We'll talk about these later.)

Your team can help you through all this, but only if you keep in touch.

Source: 34 CFR 300.321(b), MA DOE