Colleges with disability services and special programs

Now that you've talked with the IEP team and started to prepare your child for college, it's time to start researching specific schools, and seeing how they can support your student.

Most schools have a Disability Services Center where your child can get help as they start college.

There are often services to help students who need extra support. For example:

  • They might be allowed to take their tests in a private classroom, or get extra time.

  • They can have a volunteer note-taker write down the notes from each class. Your child won't know the note-taker personally and won't have to tell their classmates they have a disability.

Make sure the services your child needs are available at the college they choose!

Click on the link at the bottom of the page to download a checklist of services you might want to ask about. (It will open in a new tab or appear in the bottom corner of your screen.)


Go to our Resource Directory to find colleges in Massachusetts that have programs for students with developmental disabilities.

  • Open the Education & Employment section, and choose College and University Education

Source: The West Virginia Autism Training Center at Marshall University