Outside Agencies: The Basics

During transition planning, your IEP team should put you in touch with the agencies that can support your child's needs as they finish high school and start adult life.

They offer things like job training, internships, social groups, help learning independent skills, or personal care services.

There are many different ones, but here are some examples:

  • Louisiana Rehabilitation Services (LRS) 

  • The Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities (OCDD)

  • The Arcs

  • Centers for Independent Living

Your IEP team will help you decide which ones are the best fit, and their supports may be written in to your Transition Plan.

These places can be very helpful to your child. You will need to give the school permission to refer you. Don't be scared to do this. The agencies will give lots of support and it's all your choice. You can also call them yourself at any time.