If you think your child should qualify

If you disagree with the decision, you can dispute it or get another evaluation.

Here are some things you can do:

  • Ask if your child may qualify based on"informed clinical opinion". (Use that term!) This means the evaluator can use their judgement and consider other information that was not in the formal evaluation.

  • Ask for another evaluation. You have this right. Talk to your intake coordinator about your options.

  • Get more information. Talk to your child's doctor. Ask for a developmental screening or evaluation. Remember, you know your child better than anyone. There may be some other tests that will confirm your concerns.

  • If none of this works, you can start a formal complaint process or try mediation. See the section on Complaints in the menu to learn how.

You can also look for the services on your own. For example, you can hire your own therapist to work on speech, behavior, or whatever you think your child needs help with.Your insurance may pay for this.

See our Resource Directory to search for providers near you. (Click on it to open in a new tab.) You can even see which ones accept Medicaid, which is MassHealth.


Sources: EOHHS, MA DPH