First steps if you agree or not

If your child does not qualify for EI, the first thing to do is decide if you agree with the decision.

  • If you agree, you can find other support and keep track of your child's development.

  • If you disagree, there are ways to dispute the decision and try again.

Either way, there are still many options to support your child's needs.

If you're ok with the decision:

  • Think about what other kinds of support you need. Activities for your child? Counseling for family members?

  • Ask your Intake Coordinator what other services you can get.There are lots of supports that you can get, especially if you have a Medicaid plan.

  • Keep track of your child's development. If you applied for EarlySteps, you had a reason to be concerned.

  • Learn about other services.

Click the box below to learn more:

Your EarlySteps Intake Coordinator should help you to find other resources!

You may have to ask for them by name. 


For example, they should tell you about:

  • Other community programs and activities

  • How to make sure your child gets regular developmental screenings

  • Your legal rights, and what to do if you don't agree with the decision

  • Other benefits you may be able to get through Medicaid health insurance

If you have Medicaid, the intake coordinator or is required tell you about these programs:

  1. Medicaid Infant and Toddler Support Coordination

  2. EPSDT Program:This stands for Early Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment. It covers some medical costs related to your child's condition. It also covers Personal Care Services (PCS), which let you hire someone to help with your child's bathing, dressing and eating. There are many other services that go along with this: ask about them!

Sources: LDH, OCDD

See the next page to learn what to do if you disagree with the decision.


Source: LDH