State programs and what to do first

If you have a developmental disability (DD), there are lots of services you can qualify for to help with your employment goals.

The Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) is a state office that can help you prepare for and find a job. 

For example:

  • Job-readiness Training —Helps with skills you need for all kinds of jobs, like being responsible and interacting well with coworkers

  • Job-matching —Helps you find a job that works for you

  • Supported Employment —Job coaching and support on the job

  • Equipment and Adaptations —Helps with devices you need at work, and changes to your home or car like a wheelchair ramp

The Department of Developmental Services (DDS) offers support to help you live, work and engage in the community.

These services can help you if you live with your family, in your own home, or in a group setting in the community.

Here are the most important things you can do:

  1. Apply to the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC)

  2. Apply to the Department of Developmental Services (DDS)

  3. Call other support organizations and vocational programs and ask for help

We'll tell you more about all of these services and how to apply. See the other sections in the menu on the left.