It's not easy to manage school during the pandemic when you have children with special needs!
Read on for school updates and other tips and resources during this difficult time.
The state and school districts are working hard to put supports in place to make sure that this school year is safe and addresses the needs of students and families.
You can find details and resources on the Louisiana Department of Education’s Coronavirus Page. This is continually updated. Keep checking back.
How can I stay grounded and help my child through this?
- Please see the new Exceptional Lives page: Resources for home-bound families of kids with special needs.
- It has practical tips, resources, and articles to help you manage your family's stir-craziness, mental health and education challenges.
What about my child’s IEP? What are the school's responsibilities?
- Schools have a responsibility to make sure students with disabilities have equal access to education compared to typical students.
- All IEP and 504 services and accommodations should still be happening. If your child is learning remotely, it may take some creativity to see how this can work.
- Contact your teacher or IEP team if you have questions.
What if my child relies on school meals?
- Even if they are closed to in-person learning, schools have been distributing meals for students who need them.
- See the LDOE's Nutrition Page to find out where and when.
- P-EBT is the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer program. It's for students who qualified last year for free or reduced lunch. The deadline to apply is past. But if you already applied and need help, click here to learn more.
I don’t have reliable internet access. How will my child access on-line resources?
- Talk to your school district if you do not have internet access. They need to know this, and may be able to help you get connected.
Please see the menu on the left to read about supporting your child if they are struggling in school. (On a mobile phone, the menu is at the top.) Click here to get to the first page.