As a result, students with disabilities may get punished for acting up, when what they really need is more support.
- Schools sometimes send a child home in the middle of the day or suspend them because of their behavior, when the behavior is actually because their disability-related needs are not being met.
- Parents have to push back and not pick their child up every time the school asks them to. This will be hard to do!
- If the student is getting suspensions, the parents have to help the school understand the reasons behind the behavior and push the school to address those reasons instead of suspending the student constantly.
Click on these links to open the info in a new window:
- Other section of this Guide: Helping your child with behavior challenges.
- The Louisiana Department of Education's information on Student Behavior and Discipline.
- E-learning module from the Louisiana Parent Training and Information Center (LaPTIC): What do you do when the school calls to pick up your child?
- LaPTIC and Families Helping Families: local organizations who can help you to advocate for your child.