When your child has a disability, starting school can be complicated!
Read on and we'll help you figure out how to set up services and help your child through this.
Question for Team: This is the only page in the Intro section, but if we want it to be first, we need to have it nested under a section heading (Intro: Helping your child transition into school). This is a ZenDesk thing. Is this confusing? Should the title of the page match the title of the section or is it better to have it slightly different to have a variety of keywords? This is usually the page we link to when we share a Guide because it's the first page.
This Guide will help you to do these things:
- Make the transition from EarlySteps to school-based services (if they are in EarlySteps)
- Connect with the school system before your child turns 3
- Learn about the services that your child can get from the school after age 3 (Special Education)
- Choose a school that can meet your child's needs
- Learn your rights and how to advocate for your child
If your child is getting Special Education services already, or if you want to learn about that whole process, please see the other Guide on Special Education Services. (Click to open it in a new tab.)
We hope this Guide will answer your questions. If not, we'll tell you who to call.
Each Exceptional Lives Guide has lots of info!
Click on the Next button below to go to the next page. You can go through the pages in order or use the Menu on the left to pick the topics you need. (Or blue Menu button on mobile phones.)
Click here for help navigating through the Guide. (It will open in a new window on your screen.)